Customer Service | Subscribe | Place an Ad

The Business Page

Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

GoodReads

Starting the new year with some interesting business items worth noting:
  • The world's largest retailer is putting its heft behind one aspect of the move toward energy conservation. Read about Wal-Mart's plans for more energy efficient light bulbs. (NY Times.)
  • I wrote last week about digitalXtractions, a Rochester start-up with a promising idea for a new web-cam technology. The company sees the technology as useful in security and human resources management. Perhaps they are onto something, as this story from the Orlando Sentinel shows.
  • More proof that in this day, every business is a tech business: A project involving Ford Motor Corp. and Microsoft. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.)
  • Another iconic company in the new economy is facing a union battle, according to the Seattle Times.
  • Here's a company that has developed technology that -- if you like -- will keep track of your every move: GPS-enabled sneakers. (Miami Herald.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home