Customer Service | Subscribe | Place an Ad

The Business Page

Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Top 101

A few of the one-liners from the annual Rochester Top 100 luncheon, which this year should be called the Top 101, because there was a tie. The luncheon was held at the Rochester Riverside Convention Center, with more than 1,800 attendees, a record. No truth to the rumor that recruiters for the Second City comedy club chain were in attendance.
  • "He's still out on the campaign trail. Nobody's told Jim Alesi that he's won." - Event MC Don Alhart while introducing the members of the head table at the event. Alesi, a state senator, was the only head table invitee whose chair was empty.
  • "When I get knocked down -- and I do frequently -- she is the first one to pick me up. Of course, she's the one who knocks me down half the time." Retiring RIT President Albert Simone, talking about his wife, Carolee Simone.
  • "Still no sign of Jim Alesi. We do have one report that he was last seen in the parking garage with Joe Klein." - Alhart again, referring to the CEO of Klein Steel Service, who gave a take-no-prisoners speech several weeks ago about the problems facing the upstate economy. In that speech, Klein lambasted several state legislators.
  • "My 13-year-old son said, 'Dad, if you have any hope of holding the attention of the people in that room, you better let mom do all the talking." - Charles Lill, describing what his son, Jesse, said after learning that Lill's company, Frank Lill & Son, was the No. 1 company in the Top 100.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Joe Klein had the guts to say what many Rochesterians were already thinking. Between taxes, regulations, and ineffective Albany legislation, it is VERY hard to do business in our region. However, there are a lot of local resources that have helped me believe there is a better way. Rochester is working hard to overcome these obstacles.

1:21 PM, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home