Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.
Monday Morning Reads
Business stories of note the last few days:
- As time moves on and technology changes, standards of success do too. So here's a new one: Getting cast in a video game. Check out this Reuters reporter making it big. (NY Times.)
- While this is just an exhibition, the face of moon travel is changing, as this contest shows. (Denver Post.)
- The World Is Flat, exhibit No. 100,233,553, courtesy of the Associated Press. This time it's about Israeli's who are working for American companies through the thrill of telecommunications. (Via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.)
- The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has done some good work on some of the risks facing fishermen in the Great Lakes.
- Here's an in-depth look on the next-generation technology for making ethanol. (Seattle Times.)