Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.
Tuesday Reading List
Starting the school year with some interesting business stories worth checking out:
- Fans of the old Dungeons and Dragons board game, rejoice! A new online fantasy game has taken the world by storm, with more than 7 million paying customers. (NY Times.)
- Here's a list on which you won't find Rochester's three most recognizable employers (Kodak, Xerox and B&L.) Fortune Magazine has ranked the nation's fastest-growing companies. No. 1 is Vaalco Energy of Houston which is involved in - yes, you guessed it - oil exploration and production. (Fortune Magazine.)
- Another sign that no business is safe in the day and age of technological innovation: MySpace, the popular networking site for young people, is becoming a major player in music retailing. (Business Week.)
- In the category of ideas you just knew wouldn't work, put this: a hybrid car/plane. One of those is on the block, according to the Seattle Times.
- In my college days, I would have happily put up with ads in my textbooks, since it meant more money for beer. Today's students are getting that choice.