Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.
On this day of memorials, some interesting business news to soak in:
- Even five years later, advertising and media businesses are struggling to find the right balance in their use of Sept. 11. (NY Times.)
- And to think, someone in an office called the Office of the Special Counsel, spent time on giving fashion tips to employees. (Chicago Tribune.)
- For the sake of our photo-literate community, here's an idea from a Detroit couple that maybe holds some intrigue. Or maybe not. (Detroit News.)
- Here's another community benefitting from increased spending on homeland security. (San Diego Union Tribune.)
- Forgetting your wallet at the store may not be a huge problem in the future, if this technology spreads to our area. (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.)
- A glimpse inside the boardroom is always interesting. In the case of HP, it's ugly, too. Apparently that company's board can't decide what to do about its chairwoman. (San Jose Mercury News.)