Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.
As I was off Monday for a certain young man's 6th birthday party, I start the week with my regular listing of good business reads:
- Some of the nation's best known advertising characters are getting makeovers, according to the New York Times. Among them: Mr. Peanut and the Sun-Maid Raisin Girl.
- While Congress continues to struggle with immigration reform, state legislatures are working to enact stricter new regulations on employers. (The Christian Science Monitor.)
- Ever wonder where all the debris goes following a natural disaster? This Florida company has the answer. (Orlando Sentinel.)
- Disney apparently has a monster hit on its hands in Pirates of the Carribbean. (L.A. Daily News.)
- The outsourcing outcry seems to have faded in recent months. Here's an interesting take on what the debate should really be about. (Business Week.)