Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.
Some business stories to read to keep you out of the heat:
- OK. Advertisers have officially lost their minds. Check out this new frontier for advertising, brought to you by CBS: Your eggs. (New York Times.)
- Slower economic growth usually isn't something to celebrate -- but when it leads to lower gas prices, it might be. Check out this story from Reuters via the Boston Globe.
- There are a frightening number of cars on the roads in the United States. Ever wonder what happens when they stop working? This Alabama company has an answer. (The Birmingham News.)
- The Exxon Valdez oil spill was almost 20 years ago, yet a lawsuit regarding the event just doesn't seem to end. Plaintiffs are still waiting to collect. (Anchorage Daily News.)
- Even the residents of Hawaii are poking their noses into the prospects for biofuels. According to one analyst, Hawaii could become the "Saudi Arabia of the Pacific." (Honolulu Star Bulletin.)
- How much makeup do you have to sell to earn $1 million in commissions? A Dallas woman today has the answer. (Dallas Morning News.)