Customer Service | Subscribe | Place an Ad

The Business Page

Welcome to the business page, a blog where I'll take you behind the scenes of greater Rochester's fast-changing economy. My name is Ben Rand, and I intend to introduce you to some of the personalities, concepts and events that make news in business here. I've been a business reporter for eight years in Rochester and a journalist for 18, working in four states. I grew up in Pittsford, but moved away after college for about a decade. My wife and I live in Irondequoit with our two children.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mullen Leaves 'Em Laughing

Dennis Mullen, the former CEO of Bird's Eye Foods and now the head of Greater Rochester Enterprise, showed he might have a second career in the making as a stand-up comedian during his speech Wednesday to the Rochester Rotary Club. A few of his one-liners:
  • "If my parents were here, my other would be proud. But my father would be saying, 'who are they talking about?'" - Commenting on his introduction from Sandy Parker, CEO of the Rochester Business Alliance.
  • "I've been happily married for 24 years. But I've been married for 29 years."
  • "The only reason you're here is you didn't get an invitation to see the real president."

He wasn't the only one making the crowd laugh. Commercial realtor Bob Moore shared some great news about his life: That his daughter had gotten engaged during a recent vacation. "We had the privilege of having our daughter come to Florida with her boyfriend," Moore told Rotarians, "and leave with her fiancee!"

After the applause died down, Moore felt the need to clarify: "It was the same person!" he shouted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home